Thursday, June 9, 2011

Where Are Your Treasures?

"Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.  For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."   (Matthew 6:19-21). 


This verse came into my mind this morning.  I really want to focus on what Christ is saying here.  Is he saying that we cannot accumulate any treasures here on earth?   Can we not save up anything that is material?   After I read the verse in my Bible, I read the commentary on it.  It stated:  "Don't amass earthly wealth.  He (Christ) commands the use of financial assets for purposes which are heavenly and eternal.  See notes on Luke 16:1-9."

Wanting to study it further to make sure that I really grasped what was being said here, I looked up a sermon on this particular verse.  John MacArthur helped to shed some light on this verse, and it was very helpful to think about.  Here is what he was saying concerning these verses:   

"...the real issue: Where is your heart? It's where your treasure is, wherever you put your investment is where you're going to put your heart. If all that you possess is locked up in commodities and accounts and notes and savings and whatever else that's where your heart's going to be. But if it is in the process of being invested in God's causes that's where your heart's going to be...You see wherever I set my heart is really the critical issue in my spiritual life. Wherever my affections are is going to determine how I perceive everything. And if my heart is right and my treasure is toward God, then I'm going to have the right kind of spiritual perception. Wherever my heart is, is going to be where my treasure is because I have to attach myself to my investment, that's really the matter that Jesus is speaking of."

To be honest, I never really have taken much thought to what these particular verses mean.  It is good to think about though!  

Where is YOUR heart?   What do you invest in?   Please, really think about it.  "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  (v. 21) 

Thank you for reading! 




1 comment: