Tuesday, June 14, 2011

My Fortune Cookie

It is so good to be reminded of the truths in scripture!  It's neat to see how the Lord does bring His Word to our mind in sometimes unexpected, simple ways!  For example...

One evening, my parents and I were eating a scrumptious meal from our favorite Chinese restaurant.  As we were finishing up our great dinner, we of course had to see what our "fortune" was in the traditional cookie given at the end of the meal.   So, my dad, mom, and I took our turns breaking open our fortune cookies, and we began to read what each one of us got.  Now, just to clarify, I do not believe that any of these slips of paper is going to really tell me my fortune because I know that God alone only knows what my future holds, but of course, out of fun we like to read off and see what each of us received.  It was quite interesting to hear each of our "fortunes".   Well, they were all more like "advice" cookies instead of "fortunes", but let me just say that mine gave some pretty good "advice".

It was very appropriate for me to receive this particular "advice" cookie because it has been something that I have needed to really focus on and trust the Lord for completely and fully!  Mine was:  "Good things come to those who wait".   My mind immediately went to Isaiah 40:31, which says, "but those who wait upon the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."  In a very round about and somewhat odd way, I was reminded of this truth from reading the little slip of paper in my "fortune cookie".   It was what I needed to hear right then and there, and it is something that I must continually focus on each and every day.

It is something I would "advise" you all in as well, to continually wait upon the Lord for His guidance and direction in your life.  He is ultimately in control, and we must focus on being faithful to Him and seeking Him more and more everyday.  He will open and shut doors for us in our lives, and we are called to wait, trust, and obey.

Waiting is not easy because we all desire to take moments of our lives into our own hands instead of completely relying upon Him; however, it never says that waiting would be simple and easy.  It is a dependence that can be very difficult.  Yet, it is the best thing in the world to wait because in that period of uncertainty we can draw closer and closer to Him.  It is in those hard times that He reveals who He is to us more and more!


Wait on Him, and He will make your paths straight!   Take courage friends!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment