Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What if I Don't Feel Like it?

I woke up to a beautiful morning, with sunlight beaming through the cracks of my window shades.  It was quite easy for me to roll out of bed before 7 a.m., go outside in the backyard, and just sit in the hammock and pray, with of course a cup of hot coffee in hand.  It was a wonderful morning, and I was feeling quite nourished and happy.  Yet, what if I woke up to a morning of rain, wind, and just cloudy weather?  Would I be so happy and eager to start my day rising early and with a time of prayer?  I would probably have to say no.  Hmmm.  I know that circumstances can alter how we feel and react to certain situations, but should that really be the case for a Christian?  Aren't we commanded to rejoice always?  There are so many verses in Scripture that command this very thing.  Let me list just a few:  Philippians 4:4, Psalm 13:5, 1 Thess. 5:16-18, Psalm 40:16, James 1:2-4, Psalm 30:5, Romans 5:1-4, Psalm 28:7, Romans 15:13, & Psalm 64:9-10.  

Now, is there anywhere in these verses that link our joy and happiness to our circumstances?  Nope! The only cause of our joy and contentment is found in the Lord and resting in His promises.  Yep, that is the answer. 

It is SO extremely easy and common for us to tie our feelings to how we react.  Most of the time we do respond based on how we feel, but as these verses indicate, our feelings have no leadership whatsoever to how we should react, which is with rejoicing and praise to our Lord. 

My pastor once spoke on this and stated very simply that "our feelings should follow NOT lead".  It is very easy to allow just the opposite especially when we live in a world where that is encouraged, but as seen through God's Word, we are to be led by the truth not on how we might feel.   My prayer for myself is that this would become more of a pattern in my life.  Allowing feelings to take the lead comes very naturally and easily, but that is why I must constantly be reminded of the Truth because more often then not, our feelings are not a good indicator of what is true.

So, if I woke up to terrible weather this morning instead of gorgeous sunshine, I am still to respond with rejoicing and praise even if my circumstances make it harder for me to do so!

Have a good day friends!  Keep your mind on the truth allowing that to be your base and then let your feelings and emotions follow.

1 comment: