Friday, July 22, 2011

Have Patience, Don't be in Such a Hurry!

Did you ever learn that song about patience when you were a kid?!  I remember singing this in my younger days-

"Have patience, have patience, don't be in such a hurry.  When you get impatient, you only start to worry.  Remember, remember, that God is patient too, and think of all the times when others have to wait for YOU!"

I saw this video on YouTube of this cute little girl singing this song: 


Yep, I remember when my mom had to remind me of that song when I was a little girl, and she even encouraged me to sing it whenever I was being impatient!  It probably would do me good even now to sing it whenever I forget to have patience!  

It may be a cute little song that reminds us to be patient, but we do need to constantly be reminded to WAIT AND HAVE PATIENCE! 
 
What is it that you are impatient about?!  

Whether it be waiting in long lines at the grocery store or sitting in traffic for what seems like eternity, we are even in those instances, to practice patience.   

However, what if the situation is on a much grander scale verses standing in long lines or sitting in your car for hours?!  What if a relative is experiencing severe health problems and he/she has been struggling with pain and sickness now for years?!  You even have prayed and prayed that the Lord would deliver that loved one from their misery, yet; seemingly your cries for help have gone unanswered.   Whatever the situation may be, have you felt surges of impatience towards the Lord or even discouragement concerning a particular situation?!

Just recently, I was dealing with this very frustration.  I was expressing my doubts and even a lack of understanding concerning why the Lord seemingly has not seen fit to answer my prayers about different issues in the ways I have been asking for.  Are my prayers even right?  Am I desiring good in my requests?  I can even honestly say "yes" to both of those questions, and so the doubts and confusion come rushing through me like waves on the shore.   "Why, Lord, why, have you not seen fit to grant my requests?!" Over and over again I ask this question.  

Even though it would be SO amazing and wonderful for me to literally hear the voice of the Lord like Moses and Abraham did, and to hear Him explain why He hasn't granted my requests or to give me some kind of assurance that He has received them, I realize that I already have His answer.  It is in the pages of scripture.   He gently encourages me to trust in Him when I do not understand (Proverbs 3:5-6), to wait upon the Lord and to be of good courage for He will strengthen me (Psalm 27:11), to submit myself under the mighty hand of God and in due time He will lift me up (1 Peter 5:6), to not grow weary nor lose heart (Galatians 6:9),  to wait upon Him (Isaiah 40:31), and to be patient during difficulties, continuing steadfastly in prayer (Romans 12:12).  The pages of scripture are filled with the Lord's answers to our doubts and fears.  

I am rebuked for forgetting and reminded from reading God's Word that He does hear my petitions, and that He will answer them in His timing and way because He knows what is best.  Reading Luke 11:11-13 describes the nature of our Heavenly Father.  He being holy and righteous knows how to give good gifts to His children.  He knows what is best for His own.  I simply need to be reminded of this truth and to trust in Him.  I am to be patient because when I become impatient, I only start to worry, and that is wrong.

Go sing the "Have Patience" song to yourself dear friends and be reminded of the truth that God does hear our requests, and in His time and way, He will answer them!  In the mean time, we are to be PATIENT and to wait upon Him!  

Grow in grace and have a Christ-centered Friday!


No comments:

Post a Comment