Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Living for the Weekend

   So, it's Wednesday, the middle of the week.   For many people, working a Monday-Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. job, they are most likely longing for the weekend at this point.  It has been a busy beginning of the week, and there are only TWO more days of work. 

   Working in an office where the days and hours are like the ones mentioned above, it is interesting to see the "mood" of people change from when it is Monday verses when it is almost the weekend, on a Friday.  Most of the time, I see that people are not as "up-beat" or "happy" on Mondays as they are on Fridays.  Of course, I can understand why because they are looking forward to the weekend, and they are excited to not work for the next two days. It definitely makes sense.

     I too am not excluded from this kind of "up and down" behavior based on the day.  I noticed that I too was more excited on Friday verses being more quiet and less exuburant on Monday.  Then I began to really think about this (and still do).  Is that right to have a different behavior based on what day it is?  Shouldn't I, as a follower of Christ, rejoice always no matter if it is Monday or Friday?  The answer is, YES!  I most definitely am called to rejoice no matter what day it is.  When I am in those "up and down" moods because I have to go back to work again after a nice weekend, I am then basing my "happiness" on circumstances, instead of focusing on the Truth, which is to rejoice always, NO MATTER WHAT YOUR CIRCUMSTANCES ARE! 

    I realize that this is a DAILY battle.  We all base our happiness at times on our circumstances, but we must see that our true JOY comes from the Lord and from His Truth alone.  So, I just want to challenge you to pay more attention to what Philippians 4:4 teaches, to rejoice always! Go read that chapter if you have time and really focus on that!  Also, James 1:2-5 discusses this as well, so good!

Are you living for the weekend, or are you rejoicing EVERYDAY in the Lord?

Have a good Wednesday!  :)

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post Breana!!

    Ironically,this morning I was thinking about that very thing...how I couldn't wait for the weekend and gradually I found myself battling discontentment with the weariness of "day-to-day" life. Your post was a very good reminder of "Who" we are living for and forced me to do an "attitude check" ;)

    I think every day should be just as fresh and exciting as the next, if we are living our lives for the Savior! "This is the day that the Lord has made, let us rejoice and be glad in it. " ~ Psalm 118:24

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete