Monday, April 11, 2011

Are You a Name-Only "Christian"?

     The word "Christian" I believe is very broadly used and dare I say, most people who call themselves "Christians" do not even know what it means to be one.  In the days of the early church, after Jesus Christ ascended into heaven, this term (meaning "little Christ/Christlike") was originated to identify with those who TRULY followed the Lord and obeyed what He taught.  They lived set-apart lives, honoring their Savior.  However, in today's day and age, the word "Christian" is used very loosely. 

      Countless times have I heard people profess "Christianity" and say that they "love Jesus" or "love God", yet their lives demonstrate the very opposite.  It is sad to see that a lot of "Christians" have NO clue about what that word really means.  They may go to church once a week (or not even that much), pray every once in a while,  read their Bible very occasionally, and live their life just like everyone else in the world.  They use the same language as the world (cussing, swearing, joking inappropriately, etc...), they are involved in the same activities as the world (partying and getting drunk, being "loose" in their actions, etc...), and the list could go on, but you get what I am trying to say.  So what IS the difference between a "Christian" and those who don't really care about Christ at all?  Well, nothing from what I was just describing earlier.   Are you understanding what I am saying?!  The term "Christian" has been used so loosely and broadly that when one says that they are a "Christian", it honestly can mean anyone.  I hope that makes sense.

   What I am really trying to point out, readers, is that there SHOULD be a difference from one who follows Christ and from one who doesn't. This is not ME just giving my own opinion, this is what the very Word of God teaches.  Let me give one passage in particular.  

(Ephesians 4:20-22)
But you have not so learned Christ, if indeed you have heard Him and have 
been taught by Him, as the truth is in Jesus: that you put off, concerning your former conduct, 
the old man which grows corrupt according to the deceitful lusts, and be renewed in the spirit
of your mind, and that you put on the new man which was created according to God, in true
righteousness and holiness."   
(also...Romans 6:6 and Colossians 3:10)

   Followers of Christ are NOT to be conformed to this world or follow after the pattern of this world.   Dear friend, if you read this and can identify with that "Christian" I described at the very beginning, and then you say, "but I do not want to give up MY life" or "but I love the world too much to be completely different"...then maybe you should examine your own heart and see to whom you really belong to...Christ or the world. 

   I do not mean to sound harsh, friends, but this has been on my heart to share.  It hurts me tremendously to see ones I love going in this path.  Do not lie to yourself.  For true believers are to live ALL of their life, meaning EVERY aspect of it, for their King.  

     So, in the context of what I have been discussing....are you a follower of Christ or are you a "Christian" in name only. 


Thanks for taking the time to read this very long entry.  :)

Have a great night!




   
     


  

No comments:

Post a Comment