Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Whatever My Understanding of God is...it is WAY Too Small

A friend posted these wonderful words from a section of the hymn, God Moves in a Mysterious Way, on facebook, and it was such a timely reminder for me and so encouraging to read!  I need to "preach" these words to myself everyday-


Judge not the Lord by feeble sense,
But trust Him for His grace....
Blind unbelief is sure to err
And scan His work in vain;
God is His own interpreter, 
And He will make it plain. 
-(Cowper)-

How often we judge God by what we ourselves think of Him based on certain circumstances we are facing or by what we think He is doing.  We ultimately cannot fully understand who He is.  We will spend the entirety of our lives discovering just a fraction of His Person.  We have been told and have been given a glimpse of who He is through His very Word, the Bible.   We can only pray that He will reveal Himself to us more and more and give us the understanding we need because we cannot know who He is without Him opening our eyes to see Him, as He is.   This I do know...whatever view I have of God now is WAY too small.  I want this to be my prayer everyday:

"Lord, reveal to me more and more of Yourself.  Forgive my lack of understanding, but give me an intense desire to seek you continually.  I cannot presume to know what you are doing or what your sovereign plan is, but please, lead and direct me in your ways!  May I trust you day to day and lean not on my own understandings, but in everything I do, acknowledge you, for you have promised to direct my paths!" 


Do you desire to know Him better? 

 


1 comment: