Monday, November 21, 2011

Another Monday

   It is another Monday.  The wind is howling, the rain is pouring, and the clouds look mad.  It is on mornings like this that I just want to stay in bed all day.  Unfortunately, I cannot do that.  Responsibilities call and there is much to do.  

    Often times, Mondays are the hardest days for me.  It is not just the start of another week, it is the start of yet another week of ROUTINE.   I have my Monday duties and obligations and then there comes Tuesday, Wednesday, and so on.  Sounds like I am complaining doesn't it.  Well, that may be true.  Lord is always  at work in me in a lot of areas of my life, showing how I must improve. Being content and thankful are definite areas in which He has steadfastly shown His grace and mercy toward me.

   I was thinking this morning that yes, it is another Monday, with all of its routine and obligations...but I need to "rejoice always" and to have the right attitude even on a day when I feel just like staying in bed and doing absolutely nothing.   I sometimes just hate even saying those words, "rejoice always".  My rebellious, stubborn, sinful nature "speaks up", in a sense, saying "Yeah, yeah, yeah...whatever.  I have heard it all before, but I don't FEEL like it, and I am not wanting to "rejoice always. That's hard. Giving in is SO much easier."'

  It is SO much easier to give in when my head is telling me to, "have a bad attitude because you feel miserable", or, "go ahead and feel sorry for yourself because things haven't go your way", and so on.  

  Oh, how extremely easy it is to be "happy" when it is all based on my circumstances and how easy it is to be in a sour mood when life is not giving us that feeling of "happiness". 

   It is on Mondays like this, when I am feeling like giving in to my feelings, that I especially need to be in prayer, asking the Lord for His peace, wisdom, and strength, because I know that I cannot "rejoice always" in my own power.   

   So, even if it is "just another Monday", I am still called to rejoice and to give thanks..."for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."  (1 Thess. 5:16-18). 

   Yes, it will not be easy, but where in the Bible does it ever say that living Christlike would be a breeze?!  No where.  That is why we must be in dependence upon the One who gives us strength and peace each day.

   So, despite everything "around me" (the weather, how I am feeling physically, my routine schedule, discouragements...etc.) shouting at me to "have a bad attitude", to "give in and be lazy all day", or whatever...I need to yell back and say, "NO! I may not FEEL like being Christlike, but I know that I MUST rejoice, I MUST be thankful for my circumstances, I MUST praise Him, and I MUST keep going." 

   Wow, that was even hard to type.  Friends, I am in no way "there yet".  I struggle everyday with giving into how I am feeling.  That is why I need to constantly focus on taking one day at a time.  Striving TODAY, to live righteously...TODAY taking all of my burdens to the Lord...TODAY saying "no" to my feelings that want to take me down.... and TODAY depending upon Him to give me the strength to live out another Monday. 

  
~Grow in Grace~ 
2 Peter 3:18 



No comments:

Post a Comment