Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Like Moses

   I was reading Exodus 4:10-12 the other day, and this passage really "struck home" for me.  In the context of the chapter, God is calling Moses to return to Egypt and go before the evil King, Pharaoh, declaring that he must let Israel go.  After receiving this instruction from the Lord, Moses became very aware of his inability to do so.

    As it states in vv 10-12, "Then Moses said to the Lord, 'O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither before nor since You have spoken to Your servant, but I am slow of speech and slow of tongue.'  So the Lord said to him, 'Who has made man's mouth?  Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind?  Have not I, the Lord?  Now therefore, go and I will be your mouth and teach you what you shall say.'"

    Wow.  As I was reading that, I was just so comforted and even a bit ashamed because at times I fell like Moses.  I can almost relate to him because I am not very eloquent in speech nor am I one to communicate very well at times.  I stumble over my words and thinking on the spot is not one of my strong point.  Well, it seems like this is the difficulty Moses had as well.  Imagine, going before the King of Egypt and declaring to him, "Let my people go", confronting his evil ways and basically declaring to him that he is not in control.  If I ever was told to do such a thing, I would run for the hills!!!  I am sure Moses felt like doing so, but the Lord graciously and kindly corrected his thinking.

    I love what the Lord said, "Who has made man's mouth?  Or who makes the mute, the deaf, the seeing, or the blind?  Have not I, the Lord?  Now therefore, go and I will be with your mouth and teach you what you shall say."  The study notes in my Bible say this about vv. 11-12, "Three rhetorical questions from God shut the door on any complaints or criticisms about being clumsy of speech.  The follow-up command, 'Therefore go!' including its promise of divine help in speech forbade all such objections.'

     So many times I feel like Moses.  I focus so much on my inability and stop at that instead of realizing that yes, I may have insecurities and supposed inefficiencies in areas, but I need to then set my eyes on the One who ultimately is in control and who will be at work through me despite my doubts.  He made me, He made my mouth, and He is very capable of using it despite my inabilities.

   We all can be like Moses at times, but use those moments to then redirect your thinking and pray to the One who is our great Helper and Provider!  Trust in Him, and He will guide you!

Have a great Tuesday, friends!

~Grow in Grace~ 
2 Peter 3:18 


2 comments:

  1. Amen. Thanks for sharing that encouragement. I was reading that same thing yesterday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Over and over again, I'm thankful God made my mouth! He's capable of putting the words there, when we feel so inadequate. Thanks for sharing, Breana! And, by the way, your post was very well said. ;-)

    ReplyDelete